When setting a goal you need to know what you are doing. In other words, you don’t want to throw something out there and hope it sticks. Your goal should be well thought out, and suited to what you are trying to accomplish.
Here are five qualities of a good goal:
1. Specific. Your goal should be as specific as possible. Not only do you need to know what the goal is, but you should also have a plan for reaching it. Although you may not know everything upfront, you should be able to set a goal that is specific enough to get you moving in the right direction.
2. Measureable. Are you able to see if you are making any progress toward you goal? How will you know if you reach your goal or come up short? You want to make sure you choose a goal that can be measured along the way. It does not matter how you measure your progress, as long as you can do this in some way, shape, or form.
3. Attainable. The last thing you want to do is set a goal that you have no chance of reaching. For example, saying that you will earn $1 million in one week is probably not something you are going to be able to do. While there is nothing wrong with setting the bar high, you need to make sure all your goals are attainable. If they aren’t, you will eventually begin to get down on yourself.
4. Relevant. Is your goal relevant to what you are trying to accomplish? A goal is a good thing, but only if it pertains to your overall situation. Make sure all your goals are as relevant as possible.
5. Timeliness. When you set a goal you need to put a time limit on it. For instance, you may set a goal that you want to reach by the end of the year. How long you choose is up to you, just make sure it is reasonable. In some cases, setting a goal that you want to accomplish many years into the future can make it difficult to stay on track.
When setting a goal, no matter if it is for work or your personal life, you should make sure it consists of the five qualities above. In closing, every goal you set should be specific, measureable, attainable, relevant, and able to be reached in a timely manner.